Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Kitty Fix

When I was young, about 6 years old, my family and I were adopted by a stray female American Short-haired Calico. She came out of the garden my mother had planted in our backyard, one that was supposed to produce vegetables but instead grew a flourishing variety of weeds and one young cat.

I was amazed to see her. I hadn't seen her before and we had lived in the house for about a year and a half. She meowed as she came, her tail high in the air, and headed straight for me. My heart raced and I could hardly believe my luck. Before I knew what else, she was rubbing her cheek and side against my legs, winding in and out in between them and purring. I reached out a tentative hand and stroked her back and she rose up on her hind legs and thumped her head into my palm. I remember the smile that filled my face and the joy that I had been picked by this cat to be her friend.

That was nearly 30 years ago. She was the first and last cat that I had and I missed her when our time together was over. Today I have my own home with a husband who is curious about what a cat is and what makes it tick, but is not interested in the company of one on a long term basis. Kitty fixes are few and hard to come by. Now I must travel west to Washington to visit Abby, my best friend's cat, or east to Maryland to knock heads and purr with Phantom. my brother's cat. I have one other cat that I visit when I can. His name is Maru and he lives in Japan. I wish that I could say I know him on a face-to-face basis, but I am not wealthy enough to travel to his home, nor do I know his person. I do, however, know his URL and am a fan of his videos.

Here is the one that introduced me to Maru and his wonderful light:




Maru's blog is mainly in Japanese, but his person has kindly added English to many of the pictures and videos posted there. Here is his URL:
http://sisinmaru.blog17.fc2.com/blog-category-1.html

So I have my kitty fix when I need it, though the lack of fur beneath my fingers is hard to accept. In time I may find myself adopted again, but for now I hop a plane and head for one of the coasts when the need gets serious and settle into a chair with a pile of fur and purr in my lap and breathe.

~ Peace and purring

No comments:

Post a Comment