Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Abecedarian Poetry

An abecedarian poem is one in which the first word of each line/stanza begins with the first letter of the alphabet and follows the correct order of the alphabet until the last letter is reached.  A writing colleague of mine posted one today and I was intrigued and inspired.  I fiddled around with the style and came up with two poems. They are modifications of the style - I followed my colleague's lead and opted to use a letter for every word instead of the start of every line/stanza.  Hope you enjoy them and thank you, Mr. Fishman, for the inspiration.

Musical Juxtaposition

Allegro
brazenly cascades
Dancing elliptic forces
gyrate happily inside
Jumbled, karaoked, lip-synced
media noise
oscillates
quavers
resonates
slides through
Unstoppable vicissitudinous
Wanting Xanadus
yearning
zealous


Brilliant Child

A brilliant child
drawing endless faces -
grinning, happy, illustrious.
Kids laughing,
music,
nature,
orchestrating quintessential resolve
solidarity throughout
unwavering
verily withstanding xenophobia
yielding zest.

~ Peace and poetry

1 comment:

  1. Amy, I love the second one. These abecedarians are difficult to write and they're also a little difficult to read and a lot of the ones I've been reading too often seem like just a list of words strung together. That's not to say they're bad, but they're like dissonant classical music to me and I'm not a huge fan of that. But "Brilliant Child" not only sets a scene and tells a little story, but it brings forth an emotion. I thought it was really great!

    ReplyDelete